Asbury Bascom Davidson (1855-1920), lawyer and lieutenant governor of Texas, son of William and Cathrina (McBank) Davidson, was born on November 13, 1855, in Lincoln County, Tennessee. He moved to Williamson County, Texas, with his parents before 1870, was educated during the 1870s at Southwestern University in Georgetown, and then moved to Gonzales to study in a law office. After being admitted to the bar, he practiced for a time in Gonzales before moving in the early 1880s to Cuero, where he established his home and a law firm. There, in the late 1880s, he was elected district attorney for the Twenty-fourth Judicial District; he held that office for eight years, until he was elected state senator, a post he held for three years.
Davidson was elected lieutenant governor of Texas for three consecutive terms, from 1906 to 1912; he was one of the few men to serve in that office for that many successive terms. He was also a member of the board of directors of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University). He served on the Texas executive committee for the Interstate Inland Waterway League of Louisiana and Texas after it was organized in 1905. Davidson was married to Minnie McClanahan in March 1890. He died on February 4, 1920, and was buried in Hillside Cemetery, Cuero.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Niel John McArthur, The Twenty-seventh Legislature and State Administration of Texas (Austin: Ben C. Jones, 1901). Proceedings of the Texas Bar Association, 1921. Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.
Reprinted with permission from the Handbook of Texas Online, a joint project of the Texas State Historical Association and the General Libraries at the University of Texas at Austin. © 2003, The Texas State Historical Association.